Full of fibre.
Good source of protein and folate (Vitamin B9).
Contains calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and phosphorous.
Low in fat.
Simple Roasted Chickpea Snack
This is how it should be done!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 dash crushed red pepper
- dry chickpeas, enough to fill a single layer of a tray
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in enough water for the beans to absorb double the amount.
- Boil the chickpeas on low for 2 hours. Drain.
- Preheat an oven to 300 F (150C).
- Roast in the preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned and slightly crispy, about 20 minutes.
- Add the oil. Mix well. Cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Whisk cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, sea salt, black pepper, and red pepper together in a small bowl; add the chickpeas and toss to coat.
The recipe at All recipes, found at the link below, uses tinned/canned chickpeas. I used dry chickpeas. Dry chickpeas are much cheaper to use than the tinned ones. I bought them from my local Indian supermarket and I soaked them in water overnight. They soaked up double the water. I drained them.There is a slight but an important difference in using the dry or tinned chickpeas. Wait for it. Here comes my mistake…. I didn’t cook them. Pick yourself off the floor and dry your eyes. How easy is it to spot the amateur health nut? Excuse the pun. Really. Such a basic mistake but one that I will not forget. I didn’t cook them. Now you know why the recipe has instruction 2 in BOLD letters. Please learn from my mistake. 🙂
I did eat a few of the chickpeas and they were crunchy. Very crunchy.
To look at the photos you would have thought they were fine.
Photographs do not always convey reality!
Now seriously can I salvage them by cooking them or is it really too late? Are they just ready for the compost bin?
I will be attempting this recipe again. Hopefully next time will be a success story.
Disclaimer: No teeth were broken in the making of the chickpea snack.
All recipes chickpea snack